FDLE Home / FDLE Frequently Asked Questions

FDLE Frequently Asked Questions


How do I contact FDLE?

Look over our FDLE Contacts Page to find the specific program area that might be able to handle your suggestion or question.


How does Florida handle issues concerning foreign nationals?

There are special procedures governing the arrest and detention of foreign nationals, deaths of foreign nationals, the appointment of guardians for minors or incompetent adults who are foreign nationals, and related issues pertaining to the provision of consular services to foreign nationals in the United States. Instructions and guidance can be found on the web at the Department of State or the Office of the General Council. These instructions should be followed by all federal, state, and local government officials, whether law enforcement, judicial, or other, insofar as they pertain to foreign nationals subject to such officials' authority or to matters within such officials' competence.

What is FDLE’s role when a citizen purchases a firearm?

FDLE responds to an inquiry from a dealer via telephone or online with a background check of the state and national criminal history information This check involves the analysis of criminal history to determine if a person should be prohibited from purchasing a firearm.

Call: (850) 410-8139
Email: firearmpurchasing@fdle.state.fl.us

I need information on licensing firearms or concealed weapons in Florida, where can I obtain it?

The Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services has a Division of Licensing that deals with these issues. They have a very informative web site, including a list of states with "reciprocal agreements" with Florida, which allows licensed gun owners to carry their weapons in Florida if they are licensed in the reciprocal state, or vice versa.

What is background screening for licensing or employment?

The electronic submission of applicant fingerprints via Livescan device for processing or requesting a criminal history record check pursuant to an existing Florida statutory requirement.

Call: (850) 410-8161

Who performs investigations on public officials and special investigations ordered by the Governor?

FDLE Executive Investigations handles investigations ordered by the Governor and conducts complex cases where public officials are suspected of criminal activity. In addition, Executive Investigations conducts background checks for governmental agencies (statutory authority is required).

Call: (850) 410-8240

When can Executive Investigations conduct an investigation?

For any of the following three reasons:
    • There is an alleged crime
    • On specific direction in writing from the Governor
    • By joint resolution of the Florida House and Senate
How do I check on the status of an investigations?

Any request for information on non-active cases should be directed in writing to the FDLE Office of General Counsel or call the Office of Public Information at: (850) 410-7001. However, reports and information regarding active criminal investigations, including investigations ordered by the governor, are not open to public disclosure. FDLE may confirm whether particular investigations are ongoing; however we reserve the right to deny any disclosure of active criminal investigations. Once cases are closed or otherwise become open to public, requests for records will be processed as any other public records request.

Who investigates reported law enforcement officer misconduct?

Each employing agency is responsible for the internal investigation which determines if the alleged officer misconduct warrants action by the Officer Discipline Section of the FDLE and the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission.


What types of information does FDLE maintain?
  • Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) (850) 410-7980
  • Computerized Criminal History System (CCH) (850) 410-7980
  • Crime Statistics (850) 410-7121
  • Florida Crime Information Center (FCIC) telecommunication network (850) 410-7126
  • Missing Children Information Clearinghouse (850) 410-8585
  • Sexual Predators (888) 357-7332
  • Wanted files (persons, articles, vehicles, etc.) (850) 410-8108
Can I get legal advice or information from FDLE?
FDLE cannot provide legal advice to those outside the department. General items of interest may be posted at the FDLE office of general counsel web page on the FDLE web site. Below are some other web sites that provide the text of Florida Law and Administrative Code:
  • Florida On-Line Sunshine, the Florida Legislature Web Site
  • Florida Administrative Code

Can FDLE provide addresses and phone numbers of other Criminal Justice agencies?

FDLE can provide an address listing and mailing labels for the criminal justice agencies in Florida. The majority of the telephone numbers listed are for the Chief or Sheriff of the particular agency, although some will be for the training or personnel divisions. You may access this information through the FDLE web site.

MyFlorida.com is also an excellent resource for addresses and phone numbers.

How do I obtain Florida crime statistics on the Internet?

Our Florida Statistical Analysis Center (FSAC) provides analysis of FDLE data in their own informational area on our site, along with a variety of interesting perspective reports such as Florida's Crime Clock, Domestic Violence, and Law Enforcement fatalities. Annual and Semi-Annual Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) are available including Arrest Total, County and Municipal Offense, and Statewide County Offense reports. You may access this information through the FDLE web site.

What is criminal history information and how do I obtain it?

Criminal history is a chronological listing of an individual’s criminal record consisting of arrest, disposition and incarceration. Law enforcement may obtain this information via the telecommunications network. Private citizens and governmental licensing and employment entities may obtain the public version of a person's Florida state criminal history by special request, and upon payment of the requisite fees. Public record requests for criminal history data can also be made on the internet at https://web.fdle.state.fl.us/search/app/default . There is a fee of $24 for any requested Florida criminal history. The public may access wanted files (persons, articles, vehicles, etc.) free of charge on the internet at http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/restricted/PAS/home/home.jsf.

Call: (850) 410-8161or access https://web.fdle.state.fl.us/search/app/default to request a Florida criminal history.

How do I make a public record request?

By contacting any FDLE office and making a specific request for documents. As an alternative, you may make your request for records by contacting the FDLE Office of General Counsel at (850) 410-7676 (Fax: (850) 410-7699) or the FDLE Public Information Office (850) 410-7001 (Fax: (850) 410-7022). Any and all requests for records from FDLE related to post-conviction appeals of death sentences must be made to the Office of General Counsel and not to any other office of the Department.

In general, it is to the benefit of anyone seeking public records to be as specific as possible in describing what is being sought. If the nature of a public records request requires extraordinary time and effort by FDLE personnel in order to respond, the requestor will be assessed charges for the personnel time and extraordinary expenses incurred. Being specific in making requests reduces the personnel time needed to determine whether records are maintained by FDLE that match that being requested, as well as speeds the response by the Department. There is also a charge for copies as established by state law. Whenever any public records request is received, should FDLE have records that relate to the request, they will be reviewed to determine if the information therein is confidential or exempt from disclosure under law. Requestors are not authorized by law to set deadlines for FDLE responses to their public records requests. FDLE is obligated by law to respond promptly.

What is the sexual offender/predator registry and how can I obtain information on sexual offenders/predators in my community?

This is a database consisting of people convicted of certain sex-related crimes after October 1, 1993. It contains photographs, current addresses, vehicle and vessel information, and the crimes they were convicted of. This information is available to the general public.

Visit the FDLE web site at: https://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender
Call: 1-888-357-7332 or (850) 410-8572

How can I be alerted when a sex offender or predator moves into my neighborhood?

Register to receive free alerts by visiting http://www.flsexoffender.net

What is the Missing Endangered Persons Information Clearinghouse (MEPIC)?

MEPIC is a program that collects, stores and disseminates information to help locate missing children and adults. MEPIC provides centralized files for the exchange of information and analytical and investigative support in the processing of leads associated with missing endangered persons cases.

Visit the FDLE web site at: http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/MCICSearch/
Call: 1-888-356-4774 or (850) 410-8585

How do I obtain information on Florida’s Most Wanted criminals?

The Violent Fugitive Apprehension Program responds to national and international requests to locate fugitives believed to be in Florida.

Visit the FDLE web site at: http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/restricted/PAS/person/WantedPersons.jsf
Call: 1-800-704-0231 (information regarding THUGS)

Is there a program to register convicted felons in Florida?

Yes. Florida Statute (FS) 775.13 outlines the requirements for a person convicted of a felony to register in the State of Florida.

Can I get a criminal record sealed or expunged?

Yes. Florida Statutes (FS) 943.0585 and 943.059 -- and Florida Administrative Code (FAC) Rule Chapter 11C-7 – (https://www.flrules.org/gateway/chapterhome.asp?chapter=11C-7) outline the requirements and procedures for having a criminal history record sealed or expunged.

Call: (850) 410-7870 for more information.

Where do I call to report the suspected growing of marijuana?

Contact your local law enforcement if you suspect marijuana is being grown.

Where can I request information on sexual abuse of children?

Contact the Crimes Against Children Program. It assists in the investigation of criminal acts upon a minor and provides training in the area of crimes against children to local law enforcement and health care agencies.

Call: 1-888-356-4774 or (850) 410-8301

Does FDLE maintain a DNA database?

The Florida Convicted Felon DNA Database is a statewide automated personal identification system capable of classifying, matching and storing analyses of DNA molecules. FDLE maintains a DNA database of persons convicted of sexual battery, lewdness, murder, aggravated battery, carjacking, burglary, home invasion robbery, robbery or robbery with sudden snatching.

Call: (850) 617-1300

How can I check on the status of a lab report?

Contact the FDLE Crime Laboratory in your region (refer to Regional Crime Lab phone listings).

Call: (850) 410-8301


Florida Department of Law Enforcement Priorities

FDLE is composed of five areas: Executive Direction and Business Support, Criminal Investigations and Forensic Science, Criminal Justice Information, Criminal Justice Professionalism and Florida Capitol Police. FDLE’s duties, responsibilities and procedures are mandated through Chapter 943, FS, and Chapter 11, FAC. To learn more about these areas, read our Statement of Agency Organization and Operation or visit our Open Government page.