Obtaining or Challenging a Criminal History Record

How do I obtain a copy of my criminal record?
A copy of your Florida criminal record may be obtained from FDLE for a fee using our online criminal history search or by mail.

National criminal histories may be obtained from the FBI or directly from the state where the record is held. Many states post information on the internet about how to challenge the accuracy or completeness of a criminal record or directly from the state where the record is held.

How do I have my criminal record updated?
  • Florida criminal records: Contact FDLE's Disposition Section.
  • For criminal records in other states: Contact the criminal record repository in the state where the arrest(s) occurred.
  • For federal criminal records: Contact the FBI.

How do I have my record sealed / expunged?
You must contact the state or federal government where the arrest occurred and apply to have the record sealed or expunged.

Florida criminal records: Contact FDLE's Seal and Expunge Section.

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

Florida Department of Law Enforcement Priorities

FDLE is composed of five areas: Executive Direction and Business Support, Criminal Investigations and Forensic Science, Criminal Justice Information, Criminal Justice Professionalism and Florida Capitol Police. FDLE’s duties, responsibilities and procedures are mandated through Chapter 943, FS, and Chapter 11, FAC. To learn more about these areas, read our Statement of Agency Organization and Operation or visit our Open Government page.