To activate a Missing Child Alert, the following four (4) criteria must be met:
- The child must be under 18 years of age.
- The law enforcement agency’s preliminary investigation must conclude that the child’s life is in danger.
- Descriptive information and a photograph of the child must be available.
- The agency of jurisdiction must approve the issuance of the Missing Child Alert.
- The local law enforcement agency will contact the FDLE Missing Endangered Persons Information Clearinghouse (MEPIC) at 1-888-356-4774.
- The FDLE, working in conjunction with the local law enforcement agency of jurisdiction, will prepare information for public distribution.
- The FDLE will ensure that the information is distributed to the media as well as to the public via text message and email through www.missingchildrenalert.com and other resources.
Note: Only law enforcement agencies can request activation of a Missing Child Alert. If you would like to report a missing person, please contact your local police department or sheriff’s office first, then contact MEPIC at 1-888-FL MISSING (356-4774).
- Local media outlets
- Local Crime Stoppers
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children 1-800-843-5678 (Florida Branch 1-561-848-1900)
- A Child is Missing, Inc. 1-888-875-2246